Wood frame

List,
I would like to get opinion or positions on a item I am doing a peer review
on. The item is a single use on site  fabricated wood moment frame. It has
been evaluated as a classic one level 4 bay moment resistant frame. The
columns are 2 - 2 x10 glued and nailed on both sides of plywood such that
the plan dimensions are about 9 1/2" x 3 1/2". The moments act about the
strong axis. Bay spacing is about 5' and height is 9'. The beam above is of
similar sandwich construction but is deeper. Where does the building code
state that a evaluation report or testing is required? The owner plans to
place windows in this frame. The connections are strapped and the lines of
action trace well in the connections. It seems inconsistent to require Hardy
and Simpson to do ER's and follow fairly tight quality requirements for
their walls and not have a requirement to meet on something like this. I
feel any deflection analysis on something like this would be tough to work
up with any confidence. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Bob Hanson