Re: "Special" K-Joist vs. KCS Joist

>From what I have heard, a special joist with the loading diagram is more
cost effective in material , however, it may increase the delivery time
since it has to go to the engineering dept. to be designed. If you have
all standard joists on the job, then it can go right into fabrication
and possibly save a couple of weeks.  If schedule is important, then go
with the KCS joists.

This brings up another question that I have often wondered about. If you
have a special joist, are the web members layed out so they are
symmetrical? How easy is it for the erector to get it turned end for
end?
Would it be a good idea to ask the joist supplier to lay it out
symmetrically? Obviously, this may be another good reason to use KCS
joists.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.