comm#780--Crane Beams

I'm working on the design of crane beams for a railroad maintenance
building, which I probably will design as a wideflange with a channel cap.
I have an AISC Engineering Journal article (First Quarter 1993) which
describes methods of calculating Cw for such a shape.  I also have AISC
Design Guide 7, which (on page 54), talks about being able to use LRFD
Equation F1-6, which includes X2, which includes Cw.

Both of these references were in the era of the First Edition LRFD, which
allowed Equation F1-6 to be applied to singly symmetric I-shaped beams.
However, the Second Edition does not; F1-6 is the same, but is restricted to
doubly symmetric beams and channels.  Instead, the Second Edition bumps me
to Appendix F, which for singly symmetric members does not use Cw.  Does
anyone know why?

Michael Hemstad, P.E.
  e-mail: hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com
Toltz, King, Duvall, Anderson & Assoc., Inc
1500 Piper Jaffray Plaza
444 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-2140