Re: comm#780--Crane Beams

>I'm working on the design of crane beams for a railroad maintenance
>building, which I probably will design as a wideflange with a channel cap.
You'll want to be real careful using LRFD for this (and patient with me
if you already know this). Service loading and vibration, not ultimate
load dominates this kind of machinery. I gather this is an overhaead
crane for which the usual specification is CMAA #70. The structure
sections of CMAA #70 cover loading requirements including dynamic
allowances and structural requirements which are mostly lifted from the
AISC spec. Fatigue requirements are paramount.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw