Composite Floor Slab - Construction Joints

Bobby

The only type of floor joints needed are construction joints which can
typically be left at the Contractors discretion as to location.

I have had Architects and Contractors ask about crack control or expansion
joints.  These will not do any good because the metal deck and the steel
frame will act to prevent the concrete from sliding and concentrating the
movement at the joint.

Mark Gilligan

Greetings and Salutations:

I recently designed a three story building using composite floor beams and
girders for the second and third floors.  The bays are 25'-0 square.  The
floor is 150'-0 x 200'-0, (30,000 SF / floor).  The floor is a total of 4"
thick on 1 1/2" composite deck.  In addition to the mesh, we have #4 x36"
at 12"OC placed 3/4" clear top of the slab at all beams and girders.

The question is this:  Are there any rules of thumb or reference materials
available to define the type and spacing of floor joints?

Thanks!

Bobby Jenkins, P.E.
Jenkins Engineering, Inc.
PO Box 2101 / 218 S Thomas St  Suite 209
Tupelo, MS  38803
(662)840.1233 V / (662)840.1103 F
E-mail:  jei(--nospam--at)netbci.com

<