Re: Special joist vs. KCS Joist

It is my practice to design all the joist using SJI load tables and list the
sizes on the plans.  I design joists that support concentrated loads as KCS
joists.  Then, I clearly state on the plans that the joist sizes shown are for
estimating purposes only and that the joist manfacturer is responsible for the
design of the joist.  I provide a load diagram for each joist size, including
any and all concentrated  loads.  This lets the joist manufacturer decide if a
special joist is more econimical than a KCS joist.  Using this approach, it has
been about a 50-50 split between special joists and KCS joists.  Admittedly,
this does not prevent builders from moving RTU around.

--Kipp A. Martin
   Portland, Oregon