Re: Caltrans Standard Plan in English system

We had this same situation arise in Texas. They put on the big push to "go
Metric", then the FHwA pulled back from their timetable. Texas went ahead
anyway, and developed specs and standards.

THEN a new TxDOT Executive Director came on board, one who had a better
"rapport" with contractors who HATE SI units (try teaching construction workers
a whole new system of measurement sometime. Their concerns were very real). He
made a declaration that jobs would be permitted to be designed and bid in
whatever system of units the District Engineer (there are twenty-four TxDOT
Districts) decided (which, of course, meant English units).

Problem was, the revisions to the specs and standards also afforded an
opportunity for the Department to update their practices, so that at the time
this decision was made, they were two years into using a nice, clean set of
standards that reflected latest design practice, etc.

When they went back to English units, they had to pull out the OLDER standards,
many of which had not been revised since the early 1980s, and SCRAMBLE to update
them to the newer practice.

It has been a mess for everyone involved in design, but a boon to the
constructors.