Re: Caltrans Standard Plan in English system

All-

Before this degrades completely into a "my system is better than
yours", I'm actually interested in comments from anyone who's
affiliated with fabricators or materials suppliers regarding what
sort of costs would be associated with a change in measurement
systems.  As far as engineering goes, I have a decent idea what
sort of costs (time & $$) are associated with rehacking in-house spreadsheets
that use implicit imperial units, buying metric
versions of all of the new supplier catalogs, codes,
specifications, etc.  It's a fair chunk of change, especially for
a small firm or a firm with limited liquid assets.  I talked to a
guy who figured his firm would run about $15k to $20k to replace
their manuals, codes, and payroll (500-600 man-hours) to update
in-house stuff, neglecting opportunity costs like loss of business
during the switch-over.

I'm sure many companies looked into these issues when the govt was
gung-ho about the switch.  I assume some aerospace fabrictors have
made the switch given that NASA contracts are nominally SI these
days.  Any comments?  I'm wondering whether there is overall
a significant monetary activation barrier, as it were, to the
change, or if it's just people like me who got little or no SI
background in grade school and are reluctant to swap over from
something that works just fine.  Granted, it may not be as
transparent as SI seems now that I've worked with it for a while,
but it's been used successfully for long enough that functionality
is not in debate.

Just my $0.02,

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, EIT                   Graduate Student Researcher
University of California, Irvine        Email: chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu