RE: Caltrans Standard Plan in English system

While I have not yet done a project in SI, I have looked into it a few times
and have heard considerable concern from a few concrete forming suppliers
that I have spoken with.  They have considerable stockpiles of beam and
column forms with dimensions of 12", 18", 24", 30", 36", and so on.  They
indicated to me that I could expect a noticable premium for any project
designed to typical SI beam and column widths rather than these typical
English unit standards.  Because there is relatively little demand,
fabricating or purchasing the forms looked more like a job specific expense
rather than a long-term investment to them.  If the job was done in "soft
metric" (specifying fractional SI units that correspond to typical English
system values) I doubt that they would care as much, but I expect that the
added confusion would express itself economically.

Paul Crocker

"Before this degrades completely into a "my system is better than yours",
I'm actually interested in comments from anyone who's affiliated with
fabricators or materials suppliers regarding what sort of costs would be
associated with a change in measurement systems."