RE: Caltrans Standard Plan in English system

Charlie,

I had a lot of FPS inertia and bigotry prior to my working on international
projects.  But after my first one (several years ago), it was just not that
big of a deal.   I have now worked in SI or other metric equivalents all
over the world.  I still use my same old ACI, ASCE, AISC, etc.  Occasionally
I do my calculations in FPS and convert the drawings and specs., and
occasionally I do my calculations in SI or other required metric system.
Project requirements vary.

International work does require you to get some additional standards, like
the JIS, but Nippon Steel will gladly send you a copy of their catalogue for
free.  You might have to get some of the British Standards, Eurocode, or
DIN, and you might have to find out the fy and standard bar sizes of
indigenous rebar.  But so what.  I enjoy the challenge.

Determining proper indigenous materials and construction practices are much
more of a challenge in international work than metrics.

It is important to note that few countries are totally true to SI.  Look at
weights and loads which are often times in kilograms, which is a unit of
mass.  That said, I know the intent and it is not that big of a deal.

Regarding fabricators, Havens Steel has plants in Russia, China and Kansas
City.  Cives Steel fabricates structures all over the world.  It is just not
a big problem.  These plants compete quite successfully in the international
market.

Regards,
Harold Sprague