Re: ASCE News Structural Community......

I prefer the two tier model of the western states to the separate licensing
that is required in Illinois (as I understand it).  It's a lot easier to
separate out "responsible charge" experience than to keep track of "civil" and
"structural" experience.  In general, I agree with the statements of the SEAW
regarding the place of structural engineering as a subset and specialization of
civil engineering that requires an understanding of the general principles of
the civil engineering profession at large.  For my part, I will wait about four
years from my PE to apply for my SE just to avoid any legal Catch-22 some state
might present.