Re: ASCE News Structural Community......

I think you may not have too many problems with reciprocity if you get
your Washington SE immediately after (or 2 years after once the new
requirements kick in) you get your Washington PE.  The only state that I
believe would present problems is California, but you will have that
problem whether you wait 0 years or 20 years if the CA system stays the
same.  The reason is that CA uses a different exam AND requires 3 years of
experience AFTER you get your CA PE, if I recall correctly.

You are correct about Illnois' method.  For a structural engineer, a PE
license in Illinois is useless (unless you also want to practice civil
engineering).  The SE act in Illinois is a practice act, which means to
practice structural engineering in Illinois (i.e. to seal structural
drawings _AND_ call yourself a structural engineer) you have to be a
licensed SE.

A couple additional comments:

1) I never had any trouble separating "civil" and "structural" experience.
ALL my experience has been structural.  I can see that some may have the
problem, though.

2) I am not sure I agree with the statement that you "quote" from SEAW.
That arguement can get out of hand if you extrapolate.  For example,
structural engineering is a subset of building construction.  So, would
that mean I should also have to get an AIA license, a PE electrical
license, and a PE mechanical license in order to gain a basic
understanding of those areas prior to getting a SE?  I would advise anyone
who is not sure if they want to do structural engineering for the rest of
their work career to make sure that they don't do something to prevent or
make it more difficult for reciprocity for a "civil" PE.  However,
personally I will never do general civil work (doesn't float my boat), so
I don't see why should "have to" have a "civil" PE.  Now keep in mind that
I DO have my civil PE because Michigan DOESN'T do the Structural I exam
for the PE, so I took the civil NCEES test to obtain my Michigan PE
license.  In otherwords, the civil PE in Michigan IS also the structural
PE.

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE