Costco Structures

One of the attractive features of Costco for me is its roof structure (I
have already bought most of their gadgets!). It is clean, uniform, seemingly
well designed, and it incorporates tapered plate girders/beams. Something
that I have been noticing is that all the visible bolts seem to be about
1/2" in diameter. Even the connection of the beam flange to the column cap
plate is made using small bolts. I am used to using 3/4" h.s. for every
project except for heavy / long span structures where I use 1" A490's. Does
anyone here use smaller diameter bolts routinely? Is there any rule of thumb
on what structures it is more appropriate to go smaller?

Ghassem.