Re: Modeling Cable Behavior in SAP2000

I don't use SAP, but I have had some excellent results using COSMOS/M
for nonlinear cable modeling, including some designs for vehicle
arresting barriers using annealed cables that past federal muster.  This
involved very large deformations as well as corelations with actual
crash test data and testing of the cables and anchors.  Regardless of
which analysis platform you use, one thing you probably need to get
meaningful nonlinear results are "pull tests" of the cables you wish to
model.  Cable (and wire rope) performance does vary from the plain ole
material data, largely due to the work hardening of the wires AND the
interaction of the strands under tension.

Bart Kemper, PE
Baton Rouge LA