Re: prestressed concrete

David,

Use of different structural systems will vary from geographical location
to location.  In my area, the vast majority of non-residental and
non-church buildings are structural steel.  Concrete structures (either
R/C or prestressed) are fairly rare.  The primary exception is parking
decks.  Most parking decks in the Detroit area are prestressed, precast
concrete.  Still quite a few are cast-in-place concrete with or without
post-tensioned slabs.  Another type of building that will typically be a
"concrete" building around here are low rise (two or three stories)
hotels.  They are typically block bearing walls with precast planks (ie
typical "old" Holiday Inn construction).  I have worked on a pilot plant
for a food company that was precast, prestressed concrete (planks,
inverted tees, and precast R/C columns).  Some hospitals around here will
be cast-in-place concrete.

Hope that helps,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE