Re: Loads for tipping floor push walls

>Does anyone have an references or personal experiences for loads used in
>designing push walls for a tipping floor at a recycling/refuse center?
I got involved with weld failures in a RDF (burnable garbage used for
electrical power generation) trailer once. The front wall of each trailer
was moved hydraulically to shove the stuff out the back into a storage
area. The trailers were literally destroying themselves because the
garbage inside developed a lot of friction with the walls, necessitating
large loading in the hydraulic system and enough pressure developed in
the confined trash to pop welds. The hydraulic systems were gradually
uprooting themselves.

The trailer design seemed to have been hipshot--moving bulk materials is
not an intuitive science. If I were doing the job I'd have a serious chat
with someone who knows about bulk materials and the loads they develop.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw