Re: Cone Failure

Francisco Duarte wrote:

<<DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY REFERENCE THAT EXPLAIN THE CONCRETE CONE FAILURE
AT THE SAME TIME,  I AM LOOKING FOR BASE PLATE DESIGN FOR TENSION.>>

For design of base plates in tension chapter 3.3 of the venerable "Design of
Welded Structures" by Omer Blodgett is still good and makes you realize that
there aren't that many new things under the sun. You can check it out at the
Lincoln Electric website at:
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/services/educate/eduresou.asp
Most of my work is in fairly light steel framing and I find that it is most
economical to just use a flat base plate perhaps using a yield line analysis
if you want to get fancy. Prying action would reduce anchor bolt capacity
somewhat but it is likely less of a factor than for a steel to steel
connection. Best to be fairly conservative.

For concrete cone failure for anchor bolts I like the simplified approach
taken in the Canadian Concrete Code CAN/CSA A23.3-94 Appendix D. If you're
interested please email me directly and I can fax you a copy of the relevant
sections of the code.

Regards,
John MacLean