RE: questions!

Finding something that is within the field of expertise of one of the
professors available to be your advisor is a good idea.  Depending on the
size of your university, there are probably a variety of professors with a
variety of research interests for you to choose from.  They may be able to
provide you with ideas and pointers, contacts and introductions, and even
funding or borrowed equipment for your project.  This can make all the
difference between a great thesis that covers new ground and a mediocre one
that asks questions that are well covered by previous researchers or are of
little interest.  The thesis projects of myself and most friends of mine
were a combinations of their own research interests and the opportunities
that were presented by their professors.  Striking out on your own would be
a difficult road to follow unless you are exceptionally self-motivated and
have a source of funding beyond merely your tuition and books.  Materials,
travel, lab fees, equipment, and hired help all cost big money if you need
them.  I had two undergraduates hired to work on the state DOT funded
project that I and two other graduate students were basing our work on.
This was critical to staying on schedule, but it was not cheap.  Once you
have narrowed it down a little more, speaking with people in the industry to
find out which aspects of your project might be of most interest to industry
would be advisable.  Good luck!

Paul Crocker