Re: prestressed concrete

Prestressed concrete is used in some parking structures but seldom on
other buildings especially since the '94 earthquake. The connections are
somewhat difficult and there is a general concern about the behavior of
prestressed structures in a seismic event. There also does not seem to be
much economic advantage when compared to poured in place. Post tensioned
poured-in-place  concrete is widely used. Precast tilt-up buildings of
one-three stories  in suburban areas where there are larger sites are
widely used. Site cast tilt-up is the most prevalent type of pre-cast
concrete structures in this area, I believe.

Stan Scholl, P. E.