RE: Concrete mix for placement in water

The ground water will not displace nor should it harm the concrete once it is placed
-----Original Message-----
From: EMAIL SERVER
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 12:16 PM
To: MATTHEW STUART
Subject: FW: Concrete mix for placement in water

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 12:18 PM
To: SEAOC List
Subject: Concrete mix for placement in water

We have a project with 24" dia. drilled caisson foundation.  The soils report did not indicate a water table problem, yet we are finding water in many of the caisson locations.  The water is seeping slowly in the last five feet.

The borings are in a clay layer, and hole integrity is not being adversely affected.  The contractor intends to pump the hole prior to placing concrete.  There will still be a wet condition, and some of the water will be displaced by the concrete during placing.

Are there any special precautions or mix changes that should be implemented?

How is the mix design different when placing concrete under water? (not exactly my problem, but I find the question interesting)

All input is appreciated,

Paul Feather