Concrete mix for placement in water

The concrete in contact with the water will be weaker.  On some tremie
pours there can be a significant layer of this weak concrete which you
should remove prior to making the next pour.  On one project this layer was
over a foot thick.

One way to remove this weak concrete is by sandblasting which will quickly
remove the weak concrete.

Mark Gilligan

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++
>We have a project with 24" dia. drilled caisson foundation.  The soils
report did not indicate a water table problem, yet we are finding water in
many of the caisson locations.  The water is seeping slowly in the last
five feet.

The borings are in a clay layer, and hole integrity is not being adversely
affected.  The contractor intends to pump the hole prior to placing
concrete.  There will still be a wet condition, and some of the water will
be displaced by the concrete during placing.

Are there any special precautions or mix changes that should be
implemented?

How is the mix design different when placing concrete under water? (not
exactly my problem, but I find the question interesting)

All input is appreciated,

Paul Feather<