Re: Knowing the Owner Won't Follow Recommendations

     If your analysis of the tank(s) is not in the contract I wouldn't worry about it.  Evidently, nothing is in the contract about the tank.  If there is something then that is what you need to address.  I always put a "buckshot" clause in the contract saying that I will not be responsible for decisions made by the owner or contractor(s) whether explicit or implied.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Fasula <tibbits2(--nospam--at)metro.lakes.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 2:17 PM
Subject: Knowing the Owner Won't Follow Recommendations

I won't be handling this one by myself, I do want to reason out a position, however:

We have a case where we know the owner will not follow our recommendation if we say NOT to place a large vertical steel tank on an existing pad originally designed for a smaller tank.  They already have done so with one tank (without our prior review).

With the new tank, the soil pressure would be about 3.6 ksf.  The original design called for 3 ksf, but the tank was about 1/3 the weight.  Soil reports from the area allow 3.5 ksf.

Overturning may be a concern, but the owner wouldn't worry about that either, since they already have tanks that aren't even tied down!

We just designed a 14x22 footing for the same silo, so it's clear to him it's not something we would want to accept.

What recourse do we have other than writing a letter?  They only want us to write the letter to keep us happy that _we're_ covered anyway.  We wouldn't get paid for a careful analysis to assess the dangers.  It seems that a letter saying don't do it and then turning a blind eye is ethically questionable.

Ed Fasula EIT