Re: Knowing the Owner Won't Follow Recommendations

Ed,
If the jurisdiction having authority for the inspection is reading your
plans, they should have the power to order the owner to conform to the
design document.  You may want to advise the jurisdiction of non complinace
befor the owner gets a final sign off form the jurisdiction.
good luck
Samir Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates

At 01:55 PM 9/13/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I won't be handling this one by myself, I do want to reason out a
position, however:

>We have a case where we know the owner will not follow our recommendation
if we say NOT to place a large vertical steel tank on an existing pad
originally designed for a smaller tank.  They already have done so with one
tank (without our prior review).

>With the new tank, the soil pressure would be about 3.6 ksf.  The original
design called for 3 ksf, but the tank was about 1/3 the weight.  Soil
reports from the area allow 3.5 ksf.

>Overturning may be a concern, but the owner wouldn't worry about that
either, since they already have tanks that aren't even tied down!

>We just designed a 14x22 footing for the same silo, so it's clear to him
it's not something we would want to accept.

>What recourse do we have other than writing a letter?  They only want us
to write the letter to keep us happy that _we're_ covered anyway.  We
wouldn't get paid for a careful analysis to assess the dangers.  It seems
that a letter saying don't do it and then turning a blind eye is ethically
questionable.