Concrete form work

As an experiment, take a styro cup, yes, the coffee cup type, and pour a
little ammonia in it, the type that you use in blueprint developers, and see
what happens to the styro cup.

BTW, don't hold the cup over anything valuable.

Discovered by accident, years ago.

BTW, sandwich the styrofoam between two pieces of plywood so that the ammonia
will not affect either the new or existing wall.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Ptlmikeda(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

>>I have a new concrete building wall immediately adjacent to existing
concrete building with an eight inch clear space in between.  I need to
maintain a 3 inch seismic separation.  Does anyone know how the forming can
be done between the two building walls?  Possibly styrofoam may be an answer
but it will have to be left in place and it is not truly a seismic separation
since styrofoam does have a certain compressive strength.<<