Re: Masonry Bond beams at 4'-0" o.c.

Randy,

The book may be refering to the seismic requirements in the Masonry code
(ACI 530).  Once you hit "seismic performance catergory C", there are
minimum reinforcement requirements (both area of steel and spacing).  Take
a look at Section 1.13 of the 99 ACI 530 or chapter 10 of the 95 ACI 530.

Also, there are minimum steel requirement for shear walls.  See section
7.5 of the 95 ACI 530 or 2.3.5 of the 99 ACI 530.

The book could also be refering to something from TM 5-809-3/NAVFAC
DM-2.9/AFM 88-3.  This also has minimum reinforcement requirements.  This
document covers "non-seismic" cases.  There is also TM 5-809-10/NAVFAC
P-355/AFM 88-3 that addresses seismic minimum reinforcement.  I believe
these documents are available in PDF format some where on the
web...unfortunately I don't recall where.

None of these items directly relate to the 4'-0" spacing but they do
match fairly closely.

Hope this helps,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE