How do you fake glulam?

My house was built in the late 70's and much of the interior trim and moulding
is rather dark.  Our living room has a vaulted ceiling with an exposed 6x12
ridge beam.  The beam has been stained a dark brown.  We are updating the colors
in the house by painting or replacing all the dark trim with white.  My wife
wants to make that 6x12 rideg beam look like a glulam beam (i.e. visible
laminations, varnished natural color).  Does anyone know of a method to do this
other than replacing the beam?  I would like something that I could do my self,
if possible.

--Kipp A. Martin, P. E.
  Portland, Oregon