Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Concrete form work

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
There are several methods that come to mind.  

Consider using concrete masonry with concrete beams and columns.  This would
greatly limit the amount of forming, and the limited forming could be done
with plywood and wire through ties.  This is a method commonly used in
Florida for hurricane resistant structures.

For available commercial forming systems, I would contact Symons  They have years of experience in forming.  

The big problem is not being able to access the back side to disconnect the
ties when stripping the forms.  When you decrease the access space for
forming, you have to decrease the lift or you have to increase the tie

The ties are normally accessed from both sides.  In your case you will only
have one tie access side.  You can use a through bolt as a tie.  If you do,
weld a plate washer to the nut, nail the plate washer to the forms on the
limited access side (8 inch space).  The bolt is unscrewed and pulled
through the access side.  Once the limited access side is unbolted, the
forms can be stripped and pulled up through the 8 inch space.  You should
consider pneumatic tubes so that you can blow air between the form and the
concrete.  This is commonly done in joist forms, and makes stripping a snap.

If the area is relatively small consider the Quad-Lock system  The Styrofoam forms are left in place,
but they are not that thick and should not protrude into the 3" clear space.

Harold Sprague

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Ptlmikeda(--nospam--at) [SMTP:Ptlmikeda(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Wednesday, September 13, 2000 11:27 PM
> To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject:	Concrete form work
> I have a new concrete building wall immediately adjacent to existing
> concrete 
> building with an eight inch clear space in between.  I need to maintain a
> 3 
> inch seismic separation.  Does anyone know how the forming can be done 
> between the two building walls?  Possibly styrofoam may be an answer but
> it 
> will have to be left in place and it is not truly a seismic separation
> since 
> styrofoam does have a certain compressive strength.  

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** 
*   Read list FAQ at: 
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to 
*   admin(--nospam--at) and in the body of the message type 
*   "join seaint" (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email 
*   to admin(--nospam--at) and in the body of the message 
*   type "leave seaint" (no quotes). For questions, send 
*   email to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********