From: Bart Kemper [mailto:bkemper(--nospam--at)bigdogz.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 2:04 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Billboard post depth

I have a client wanting me to evaluate a billboard design.  The
windloads and stresses on the structure are no sweat, but I'm having a
hard time finding a definitive method for determine the proper depth for
the post, especially since the only soils data being provided is
"minimum lateral passive soil bearing capacity shall be 300 p.s.f. per
foot of depth."  One design possibility is the post (36" dia. pipe) just
sunk into the groun, the other is placing it in a 10'x10'x10' concrete
footing.  Assistance in terms of book/website references or programs
would be great.

tia

Bart Kemper