Re: Washington state SE registration

Here's my GUESS:

The engineering community in Washington State is requiring that a person
seeking a license to practice structural engineering first obtain a license to
practice civil engineering (or so I surmise).

As I understand Illinois rules, it is possible to obtain a structural
engineering license in Illinois without first obtaining a civil engineering
license.  If this is true, then a structural engineer who is _not_ licensed as
a civil engineer would need to first take a "civil engineering" examination.
How the licensing agency in Washington would sort out the experience
requirements is another issue entirely.

Anyway, thanks, everyone, for the answers and discussion.