RE: City Taxes in the State of California

Fellow engineers:

The City of Oxnard, Ca. has asked our firm (structural engineering) to have
a business license on account of the fact that we are providing structural
observation (UBC sec. 1702) at the job site.  We are located in Irvine.
Have any of you been asked to pay such a tax recently?  If so how have you
dealt with this issue?  I am aware of Gerald Lehmer Assoc.'s dealings with
the City of Los Angeles back in 1987 as discussed in FROM EXPERIENCE Sept.
1988 but of no other published information.  We are on the job on a regular
basis due to the nature of the project.

Is it not amazing how that the harder we work the less we make?

George Richards, P. E.