Re: Billboard post depth

Bart,

Chapter 18 "Foundations and retaining Walls" of the Uniform Building Code,
Section 1806.8 "Designs Employing Lateral Bearing" has the design criteria
that I think you are looking for.  I've used it to design numerous embedded
pole type foundations using allowable passive lateral soil bearing
capacities -- 300pcf is a typical value.

I've made designs using a steel column embedded into a concrete footing, and
other designs using a base plate welded to the column and secured with
anchor bolts to the concrete footing.

The embedded pole type foundation will probably result in considerably less
concrete than if you use a pad-type foundation.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
n.roselund(--nospam--at)att.net