Re: Washington state SE registration

I don't know about Washington requirements, but you are correct about
Illnois "rules".  For someone who wishes to practice structural
engineering in Illinois, a PE in Illinois is worthless _IF_ that person
never wants to practice outside the state of Illinois.  However, if that
person ever needs to practice structural engineering outside of Illinois,
then the Illinois PE SHOULD probably be obtained.  For example, I don't
know if Michigan (which requires the civil PE exam) would allow
reciprocity from an Illinois SE without also having an Illinois PE.  That
is because a Michigan PE is a general civil PE (that is technically I can
practice general civil engineering in Michigan with my Michigan PE
although ethically that would likely be a problem).  However, I am only
licensed in Illinois to practice structural engineering but NOT general
civil engineering (I have an Illinois SE but not an Illinois PE).

All this kind of makes my head hurt.  This complexity on figuring out the
reciprocity requirements is why many people argue for national licensing
requirements.

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE