Re: Knowing the Owner Won't Follow Recommendations

>This is a serious problem.  Our responsibility is limited to the
>contract.  Sometimes, the owners change the use, even without informing
>the engineer, and by the time it happens, I may not even be living.
Actually as professional we're held to a higher standard--namely to work
in the public interest. In a decision like this we should also ask
ourselves if we've acted reasonably, because that's one of the standards
by which a jury determines negligence. Seems to me like a letter to the
owner stating the problems and pointing out possible consequences would
be a reasonable thing to do, much like mentioning rusty steelwork or
loose bolts. Especially now that all the list subscribers know that you
noticed the problems.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw