Re: Welding galvanized steel

>I am concerned about the galvanic degradation of the
>weld over time with the zinc mixed into the weld metal as well as the zinc
>fume problem.
Both are an issue, and you should clean off the coating well away from
the weld. If you want a reference try the Procedure Handbook of Arc
Welding by Lincoln Electric. Without cleaning the weld zone you'll
probably develop some cracking and porosity. Welding, no matter what you
do is going to disrupt the coating, so you'll have to cold galvanize
after you're done anyway. You may as well clean the weld zone properly so
you won't have to re-galvanize at the same time you do the weld repairs.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw