Re: Tapered members

>It could be steel or precast concrete.  Any ideas
>who could supply or how to fabricate such a member?
If you're looking for round members you could get yourself some 14 inch
pipe and cut a wedge-shaped piece tapering from zero to an arc length
equal to pi(14-8). Then roll the cut section so the cuts match and
re-weld. Instead of rolling your shop guys might know how to do it with
come-alongs.

There's a cool idea in Blodgett's 'Design of Welded Structures. Take an I
section and split it down the web on a bias. Turn one of the pieces end
for end and reweld along the cut--Presto--a tapered member.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw