Re: Truck Axle Loads

IN the first place, you're looking at the standard loading in AASHTO all wrong.

It does NOT represent a specific truck, or typical truck, or anything in the
real world. It is "notional". It was arrived at (read "balloted") to reflect a
reasonable response to the wide variety of heavy vehicle loads that a typical
bridge will see over it's life-span.

The HL-93 loading that was developed for the more-current AASHTO LRFD Bridge
Specification was chosen to reflect an "update" to these loads, but even then it
is very much like the original HS-20 load. The commentary published with the
AASHTO LRFD code provides insight into how the loading was developed.

FWIW, if you are looking at a SPECIFIC location and a SPECIFIC application, you
might to well just to consider the vehicle itself that you mentioned. I think
that the AASHTO loadings are used inappropriately in such cases.