Re: Tapered members

It took me a while to find it.  ASTM A 595 (Volume 01.01) covers "Tapered
Steel Tube for Structural Use."  Whether or not it covers the dimensions that
you require, I don't know.

Someone must make it because many of the roadway light standards that I see
have tapered steel tubes.  (A triangular plate rolled like an ice cream cone
and generally spiral welded.)

Does it have to be round?  Large diameter high voltage electric transmission
poles have fluted or polygon shapes.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Joel Adair wrote:

>>One of our architects just came to my office wondering about a source for
some tapered members for a project they're working on.  They need a few
tapered members about 15-20 feet long, 14" diameter at one end, tapering to
8" diameter at the other.  It could be steel or precast concrete.  Any ideas
who could supply or how to fabricate such a member?<<