Re: Trusjoist customers.

In our office, we have pretty much adopted the stance of staying away
from Trus Joist and using other manufacturers of engineered lumber.  Our
issue with them is their lack of technical support.

When we call in with a technical question, we get pushed off to a
salesperson.  The salesperson makes the decision of wether they want to
respond to the question, or wether they have to consult with one of
their engineers before getting back to us with a response.

In direct communications with Trus Joist, we communicated our discomfort
with this policy.  Sales people should assist the contractor's.
Engineers should assist engineers.  I am not sure I want to take the
chance of putting something on our drawings that is according to the
best information available to the salesperson.  If something goes wrong,
and it falls through the cracks, I don't want to have to defend in court
that I relied on information provided by a salesperson instead of
seeking the information from the engineer.

It doesn't matter how trivial the question may seem.  We believe if you
want to sell products that are going to be specified by engineers, you
should have engineers at the ready to provide technical support to us.
Since Trus Joist does not share in this opinion, we are trying to
specify alternative products whose tech support we are comfortable with.

Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA