Re: Welding galvanized steel

Thanks, Harold Sprague, for your response. What would this list do without
you!!??  I had wondered about this for some time and had never heard a
confident answer (I assume you are correct.... ;-).  I am constantly
fascinated with your contributions.

Mark

-----------------------

He wrote:....

>RE: Welding galvanized steel....

>It is done all the time...

>The zinc has a much lower melting temperature....melt and pool
or....vaporize....toxic....will not mix into the weld....should be within
acceptable limits...more intercrystalline cracking in fillet welds.

>....the welder should oscillate....with a whipping motion....

>....remove the zinc for structural welds....but for seal welds I would not
worry about it.

>The zinc coating is self healing....The corrosion resistance is more of a
cathodic protection as opposed to a
barrier coating.

Regards,
Harold Sprague