Seismic design of shear wall

I am working on the design of a CMU shear wall.  I have an older
"Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook" by James Amrheim (3rd ed.).  In
Section 3.5c "Shear Parallel to Wall", the last paragraph on page 80, the
text states to multiply the shear by a factor of 1.5 for the design of
the individual wall elements.  I do not find a reference for this 1.5
factor in the 97 UBC or the 99 ACI.  Has the 1.5 factor been eliminated
from designing the individual wall panels?

Rich Lewis, P.E.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.