comm#780--stainless steel

Does anyone have any information on design of stainless steel?  We run into
it every once in a while, and usually end up "exercising engineering
judgement," which in this case means treating it like A-36 carbon steel and
leaving a healthy safety margin.  Specifically, I need design guidance
(codified or personal advice--either would be helpful) on beam design,
column design, and especially bolt design.  We usually end up working in
Type 304 or 316.

Someone asked a similar question of this forum in May; the advice given then
was to contact the Nickel Development Institute (NiDI) or SSINA.  The former
group doesn't seem to have the answers to my questions. The latter probably
does, but I can't download their information (www.ssina.com) and they don't
have live people on their phones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Hemstad, P.E.
  phone: 651/292-4468
  fax: 651/292-0083
  e-mail: hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com
Toltz, King, Duvall, Anderson & Assoc., Inc
1500 Piper Jaffray Plaza
444 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-2140