Re: Seismic design of shear wall

I am taking a guess (since I don't have the book to see the context) but
could the 1.5 be the load factor for use with USD design in the UBC (if I
recall correctly the UBC does use USD design)?

I don't recall any reference of 1.5 in the ACI masonry code (I am much
more familiar with that than the UBC) other than one of the allowable
shear stress equations for shear walls has a 1.5 factor in it.  However, I
doubt this is same thing.

I doubt that helps much, but you never know...

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE