From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 10:04 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 5/8" dia. a.b.

Does anyone know why sill bolting in residential construction in zones 3 & 4 is now required to be 5/8" dia. anchor bolts instead of 1/2" dia.?

For some time now, I beleived 5/8" dia. were required only if utilizing the prescriptive measures for construction. This belief was due to my attending a seminar on the 97 UBC at which the speaker said "Section 1806.6 only applies to conventional construction, in a designed structure 1/2" dia. a.b. is o.k." I even wrote down this quote in my code book during the seminar.

I have not yet run into a plan checker who buys into this statement.

Anyone have some insight to this issue?

Thanks,

Mark