RE: Bar Joists

Jim Persing,

I appreciate your reply, and anticipate several.  I hope this will serve to
answer them all.  I did not check Todd Hill's credentials, nor do I check
anyone else's, unless I need to rely on their expertise.  Please forgive my
paranoia when I read structural questions coming out of an architect's office:
I work in one and have developed healthy caution.

BUT, even someone as green as me knows what that an H-series is an older
version of a K-series joist.  The lack of recognition demonstrates a lack of
familiarity with the work required.  While I do not doubt Mr. Hill's competence
to practice engineering, I am concerned that he is not familiar with the old
bar joist series.  For that reason, I concluded that Mr. Hill is not a
"structural" engineer, and should seek the counsel of one who is, as opposed to
posting to an email list and hoping for the right answer (this time he got
several).  If I am in error, I express my deepest apologies to Todd Hill, PE.

As we all know, there are often postings to the list asking for information
about a "QEI198741LKASJD" or some other bizarre and long obsolete material
designation.  The miriad answers follow, some good, some bad.  In this
particular case, I felt it worthwhile to suggest that some "face-to-face"
discussion would be helpful, or even a simple phone call.

Also, since when is it bad for structural engineers to get paid for their
specialized knowledge and experience.  If a buddy of mine in a competing office
had called and asked me that question, I would have billed him the half hour it
would take to gather the information at my disposal and prepare a formal and
complete answer (as I have done before).  If he were a regular client, I would
have billed it to overhead, marketing, or the project (were it still active).
If I weren't familiar with the project, and couldn't review the drawings, and
felt the guy (or gal) needed help I couldn't provide, I'd suggest (s)he hire
someone to help out, which is exactly what I did.

P.S.: This gets billed under "personal", !@#$%^.

P.P.S.: Every firm I've worked with gets calls about old projects.  I thought
that was "part and parcel" of our work.  Apparently not.

Keith Fix, PE CA (Structural)
Cromwell Architects Engineers
Little Rock, Arkansas