Live Load Reduction for One-Way Slabs

Does anyone have a methodology for determining tributary or influence area
under 1997 UBC in order to compute live load reduction for the design of a
continuous one-way concrete slab?  I have never reduced live load for
one-way slab design in the past, but am told that some engineers do.  I know
the BOCA building code and ASCE 7 specifically say that live load shall not
be reduced for one-way slabs, but the UBC and 2000 IBC do not address it
specifically (although they do reference ASCE 7.)

In any case, has anyone done this sort of reduction, and if so how?

Brian J. Harris
brianh(--nospam--at)cplinc.com