From: Rodriguez, Marlou <mrodriguez(--nospam--at)BiggsCardosa.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 12:43 PM
Subject: Square timber members as beams

 Is it a bad idea to use square timber members (4x4, 6x6, etc) as beams.  My
understanding is that square members are usually extracted from the center
or the heart of a  tree.  Because of this, I was told that square wood
members should not be used as beams or headers.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks in advance

Marlou B. Rodriguez
Biggs Cardossa Associates Inc.