RE: Square timber members as beams

All I know is that the beams you have referenced are referred to as "posts
and timbers". The allowable bending stresses for these sections are less
than those for "beams and stringers". For example, DF-L#1 Fb=1,200 psi for
6x6 and 6x8; Fb=1,350 psi for 6x10 and larger (h>=b+4"). Now, if you want to
know *why* these stresses are lower, you need to get a response from someone
much more "hi-tech" than me :o).

HTH,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS