Lead Primed Structural Steel

One of my current projects involves an existing structural steel building
where some of the existing steel(W shapes) will be removed and re-installed.
All of the steel is primed and since the structure was erected during the
mid-60's, I'm concerned that the primer may be "red lead". Subsequent
sampling and testing will verify if this is the case. If so, should I be
concerned when the iron workers handle this material? In some cases, new
steel will be welded to the existing steel. Should I be concerned about the
resultant lead vapors? If the primer is removed via grinding or blasting, is
it possible that nearby workers could inhale the air borne lead particles?

TIA,

Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD