RE: Square timber members as beams

Bill

To determine why the stress values are different, reference ASTM
D245. It is all to do with the determination of allowable knot size on
the wide and narrow faces, middle third of the member, slope of
grain, checks, wain etc.

Get a copy of the grading rules i.e. from WWPA for example, most
of the information is there as well.

I went through the exercise of determining some stress grades a
while ago. I decided, why bother, the supplement to NDS has most
I want to use.

Peter McCormack