Re: Wind Loads on Curved Roofs

See:

Multi Protection Design edited by R.E. Kummer and R.B. Sprankle

Part I Wind by R.N.Bruce
Pages 1 through 73
Section 1-3.52  (page 24) deals with : The wind pressure distribution on a
cylindrical surface.
Fig 1-3.4 is taken from the ASCE Task Committee Report (ASCE Transactions,
V126, 1961)

Additional references:

   Mc Donald, J.R., Metha, K.C., and Minor, J.E., "Design of Structures for
   Extreme Winds and
       Tornadoes" Texas Tech University, 1973.

   Sherlock, R.H., "Variation of wind Velocity and Gusts with Height",
   Proceedings of American
   Society of Civil Engineers, Vol 18, 1952 p.126

Hope this helps.

Desi J. Kiss, P.E.

----- Forwarded by Desi Kiss/we/Austin on 09/21/2000 01:29 PM -----

                    Michael
                    Bryson               To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    <bryson@civil        cc:
                    .ubc.ca>             Subject:     Re: Wind Loads on Curved Roofs

                    09/19/2000
                    04:40 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    seaint

Check out page 675 of Emil Simiu's wind book which gives some pressure
coefficients. Might not match with the exact same geometry as you have.

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Keith Fix wrote:

> Risking additional flames, I have a question of my own:
>
> Where can I find data, design info, or recommendations for wind loads on
curved
> roofs?
>
> Specifically, the project is a helicopter hanger with large doors ("open"
> building).  The roof is approx. 200 ft. wide and rises 14 feet from the
eaves,
> which are about 38 feet above the (level) ground.  I'll be using
pre-engineered
> bowstring joists for the roof at 10'-0" c.c.  Deck will be 3" type "N".
Wind